Greenway House was built in the 1700s and it is believed that part of the gardens was the work of prisoners from the Spanish Armada. In 1938, the estate was purchased by Agatha Christie when it became her summer retreat.
Since 1999 it has been managed by the National Trust which has done major restoration work on the house which is now open to the public.
There is also a glorious wooded garden on the banks of the Dart with delightful pathways across the steep slopes. It includes interesting trees from the 18th and 19th centuries, camellias by the dozen, magnolias, ferns, rare shrubs, small ponds, and interesting features such as a tide filled bathhouse or an oriental goddess in a niche.